Re: Netvie Distributed Management

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netvie Distributed Management
From: "Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber@USAA.COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 11:58:01 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I cannot address your question about NetView/NT, but MLMs are good for
distributing network discovery, status polling, and data
collection/thresholding to a regional site. All of these functions are
tightly integrated between the MLM and the NetView server utilizing the
NetView collection facility and APM.  For example, you can define a policy
in APM to threshold on CPU utilization on all of your routers (you need a
NetView collection that defines all of the routers).  NetView will
automatically determine which routers are managed by which MLM and
distribute the policy to the appropriate MLM.