Re: Sizing

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Sizing
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@SKILLS-1ST.CO.UK>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 12:25:53 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
lauritz Strydom wrote:

>      Can anybody help giving me some guideline how to size a new RS6000
>      machine. It will run Netview 5.x, Nways Manager and a SQL database
>      also a webserver will be installed on the same machine.

We have installed NV V5 and the full Nways suite a couple of times now
on 43P 240's, with 768 Mb of RAM and 4.5Gb of disk.  So far we have
small NetView databases - <1000 nodes.  We have cut down the AIX install
and have ~ 1Gb of disk free but for your size database, I would put in
more than 4.5Gb.  With 768Mb of RAM we are not seeing any significant
paging but again, you have a much bigger database.  The usual planning
info on NetView sizing should apply - the Install Guide formula sez:
 Server mem in Mb = (42 + 5.6 * Kobjects) + GUIOps * (12 + 2.5 *
Kobjects)
 for 80K objects and 1 GUI, I make that 702Mb just for NetView (whereas
our value for, say 1000 nodes or 3K IP objects would be 78.3Mb).  That
would give you a huge memory requirement!  Don't forget to allow double
RAM for your pagespace disk.

>      The database will hold about 80000 - 100000 objects in it.
>
>      The Remon Program on Unix, is it capable of storing its information
>      also into the same database as Netview ?

I believe ReMon has it's own database structure .
>      Thanks
>
>      Lauritz
Cheers, Jane
--