Re: Sizing

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Sizing
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 21:40:27 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
My two cents' worth: If you are running Nways, it will depend on which
components you are installing. The
LNM component is a heavy hitter. If you are familiar with Optivity, it is about
like adding that on.  The other
components are more moderate, but there are a number of them, and they can hit
you in the memory
department if a number of users activate them. Generally, though, after initial
startup, they don't hurt
too much.  And keep in mind that the box-management part of the LAN component
are all going
java. I think that means that their cpu requirements will be growing.

I don't usually get to choose the box, so I have gotten good at implementing
one thing at a time,
then checking on the health of the box. If things get tight, then offload what
you can, eg polling.

Cordially,

Leslie Clark
IBM Global Services - Network & Systems Management - Detroit