Re: Sizing

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Sizing
From: "Art C. DeBuigny" <art_man@MAILEXCITE.COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 06:14:28 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
 Agreed.  That's a bad idea.  I would load
only Netview and Nways.  A web server is
already installed on version 5, so you can
add your own pages to that, but I would
not rely on that server for much more than
your Netview related pages.

Also, I would recommend against sizing
specifically up to the size of your
network.  Always allow for growth, unless
you are 100 percent sure that no growth
is possible.  It does not look good to your
management if your current hardware is not
robust enough to handle the load a year
from now.

I don't know enough about NWAYS, but my
experience has been that those helper
applications eat up quite a bit of your
resources themselves.  With a network of
your size, have you considered Mid Level
Managers?

Our current production Netview V4 system
currently handles 30,000 objects.  Our
V5 will handle around 150,000 objects
initially once the dust settles.  This
pretty much forces us to unleash Mid Level
Managers, as we are also running Cisco Works
and Optivity.

Hope this helps

Art DeBuigny
debuigny@dallas.net