Cisco Frame Relay subinterface representation

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Cisco Frame Relay subinterface representation
From: "Prokott, Joe" <Joe.Prokott@WESTGROUP.COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 09:14:31 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Does someone understand how NV graphically depicts and updates status
information for Cisco frame-relay subinterfaces?  We have Cisco routers
running IOS 11.2(12) and NV is able to discover the unnumbered (each
subinterface is mapped to the router's loopback address to save on IP
addresses) subinterfaces on these routers.  NV labels these subinterfaces as
"0.0.0.0" at the interface card level within the NV submap.

Now, it appears NV does not distinguish between the various subinterfaces
within the NV database?  That is, when I select one of these "0.0.0.0"
interface cards within the NV submap and do a Tools...Display Object
Information..., there is no field(s) in the NV database that makes it
apparent that this interface card represents the frame-relay PVC XXX as
opposed to, say, another frame-relay PVC YYY defined on the same router?
Why not?  How/when is the status of these "0.0.0.0" interface cards updated
within the NV maps?  Does netmon do some "special" (other than "ping")
polling to update the status of these interface cards representing the
frame-relay PVCs?  If not, why do these interface cards even exist at all?
I assume these interface cards are put in the NV map so that some NV process
could and would update the color based upon some condition(s) change, right?
The question is what change would constitute a color change of these
"0.0.0.0" interface cards within a NV submap?  Thanks in advance,

Joe Prokott - West Group
Network Architect
610 Opperman Drive
St. Paul, MN  55123