NV6K 4.1 Bug for "Unmanaged Nodes" Discovery

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: NV6K 4.1 Bug for "Unmanaged Nodes" Discovery
From: "Mull, John" <jmull@HERSHEYS.COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 10:20:13 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
NV6K Admins,

Were running : AIX-4.2
                         NV6K V4.1.2 PTF U451880-Applied

The problem that we have been experiencing since install has been the
discovery of devices such as printers and workstations coming in as
"Managed" instead of "Unmanaged".. Yes, we have the default setting
configured correctly.

The /usr/OV/conf/oid_to_type file can be configured so that any non snmp
device is discovered Unmanaged by adding the following has last line in
file.

DEFAULT_IP: : :U
That is DEFAULT_IP:(space):(space):U

Why is this a problem??  We are sending all OV_IF_Down alerts across the
tecad_nv6k to our Tivoli TEC Console.
In Tivoli, rulesets are coded to wait 10 minutes before passing the
event to our Trouble Ticket System-Remedy.  This works "great" for
routers, switches, hubs, servers, etc... However, NV6K sees someone
turning off their workstation and issues the alert.  Our goal was to
"Unmanage " all these devices we don't want to know about.  We continue
to Unmanage these devices on a daily basis, but  they continue to come
back "managed".  We average about 10-15 a day that end up cutting
tickets.

I was told by a "Ranking Analyst" that this is an IBM Bug???  Can't do
anything about it??  Is this true??  Has anyone else
resolved this issue running at V4.1.2??  Has anyone written a NV6K
ruleset which filters devices like these out?

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.
John Mull
Hershey Foods Corporation
Information Technology & Integration
Enterprise Systems Management