Re: ovtopmd not starting

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: ovtopmd not starting
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 16:44:49 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Did you take the other daemons down with an ovstop or not?

If ovtopmd disconnects and goes down because he cannot connect to trapd, he
won't be able to re-connect if trapd is too busy to talk to him.  So it may
be that trapd is still processing the hundreds of (apparently worthless)
traps that are sitting on his input queue.  The only way to flush that
queue is to take down trapd.    Then ovtopmd can connect to him and netmon
can connect to both of them.

The only real fix in your case is to stop those network agents from
flooding the box.

Personal opinion follows:

.soapbox on
It totally mystifies me why the defaults on some routers send identical
traps to the trap receiver every so-many seconds.  They should send one
trap and not another until or unless the trap condition changes; or at
least they should send them several minutes apart.  But I see trapd logs
from customers all the time where some box is sending the same trap every
two or three seconds.  Multiply that by a couple dozen of these boxes and
pretty soon the management station on which NetView resides is using most
of its cpu to pull in traps, format them, and then throw them away.  But
there is little NetView or any other trap receiver can do about that.
Until you receive and decode the trap, you cannot tell what it is for.  And
once you have done that, there are always other processes which must
inspect those traps to decide if they work to do.  The only way out of the
hole is to stop it at the source and not configure remote agents to send
traps too frequently.
.soapbox off

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support