Re: DNS issues Effecting Multiple Daemons

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: DNS issues Effecting Multiple Daemons
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@SKILLS-1ST.CO.UK>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 20:08:40 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Cindy,
You don't say whether you lost access to the DNS in your original
disaster.  Could you now be in a situation where you have"flaky" access
to your DNS?  I would be tempted to put up a secondary DNS server on my
NetView machine as a starter and test that thoroughly - at least then
NetView should have a reliable DNS lookup (don't forget to change your
resolv.conf to have 127.0.0.1 as it's first server to try).  If you need
hooks into DNS, start named with debug on and look in /var/tmp/named.run

I have also seen demand poll hangs when name resolution is well screwed
up.  I hope your /etc/hosts has the fully-qualified domain name for your
NetView machine, otherwise you are in danger of NetView thinking it has
had a name change when you flip-flop between /etc/hosts and DNS???

What version of AIX are you on?  We still have an outstanding problem
with an AIX 4.2.1 system, not with NetView itself but with machine
re-boot if resolv.conf is in place - our machine comes up green-screen
and refuses to start the window manager logon until we revert to
/etc/hosts (this is even when the machine itself is a secondary DNS and
uses itself for name resolution) - I am beginning to wonder if there are
some situations where name resolution in general hangs - this might
tally with your description.  Like you, when we are in green-screen
mode, although the window manager won't start, nslookup appears to work
fine!

Please keep in touch if you get any resolution that might also solve our
problem.

Regards, Jane
--
Jane Curry