NetView Migration 4.1 to 5.1

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: NetView Migration 4.1 to 5.1
From: joerg.klein2@SERCON.DE
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 16:51:14 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hello,

Our company wants to migrate from NetView V4.1 to V5.1 as soon as possible.
I have a few questions affecting this upgrade.

Environment:

NV-Server:
- System Model: J 40
- OS: AIX 4.2.1
- NetView 4.1.2
- 2- Node Cluster with HACMP 4.2.2
- first node works as  application server
- second node is DB-server with Oracle 7.2.3
- Nodes: 2 GB memory
- 2x SSA Tower
NIS
NFS ( the NV-clients communicate via NFS-mounts with the NV-server)
Shared File-Systems like:      /usr/OV

NV-Clients:
8 clients-machines (  RS6000 / 43p )
OS: AIX 4.2.1
NIS
NFS
NV-client Software

Questions:

1. Do we have to upgrade the NV-clients after upgrading the NV-server to
V5.1 ?

2. Do we have to make all NV-clients to TIVOLI  Managed-Nodes ?

3. We would like to use HACMP for Tivoli takeover. In the Release Notes of
NV 5.0 it is recommended not to use HACMP for Tivoli takeover !
Are there any new features affecting this problem in NV 5.1 ?

4. Is it better to install TME 10 Framework 3.2 or 3.6 with NV 5.1 ?

5. Do you think we can get into trouble using Oracle 7.2.3 as RDBMS  ? Are
there any migration-scripts which have to be used ?

6. We have implemented a lot of applications in the current NV 4.1
environment - i.e. Nways Campus Manager LAN  V 3.1, SNA Manager V 1.1.4.2,
NetScout- Manager V 5.0, Cisco Works V 3.0.3, Sniff Master for X  V 4.0.1.

Have you heard of any migration-problems concerning these applications ?

7. Do you know when the NV 5.1 is available on the WEB ( i.e. manuals,
Redbooks, Release Notes ) ????

Thank You very much for Your cooperation !!

Best regards,
Joerg Klein

My Mail-address:
joerg.klein@lhsystems.com