Re: NetView Migration 4.1 to 5.1

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView Migration 4.1 to 5.1
From: "Art C. DeBuigny" <debuigny@DALLAS.NET>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 17:38:24 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I'll try to answer what I can.  Some of those are outside of my current
experience, so must be answered by others.

joerg.klein2@SERCON.DE wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Our company wants to migrate from NetView V4.1 to V5.1 as soon as possible.
> I have a few questions affecting this upgrade.
>
> Environment:
>
> NV-Server:
> - System Model: J 40
> - OS: AIX 4.2.1
> - NetView 4.1.2
> - 2- Node Cluster with HACMP 4.2.2
> - first node works as  application server
> - second node is DB-server with Oracle 7.2.3
> - Nodes: 2 GB memory
> - 2x SSA Tower
> NIS
> NFS ( the NV-clients communicate via NFS-mounts with the NV-server)
> Shared File-Systems like:      /usr/OV
>
> NV-Clients:
> 8 clients-machines (  RS6000 / 43p )
> OS: AIX 4.2.1
> NIS
> NFS
> NV-client Software
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Do we have to upgrade the NV-clients after upgrading the NV-server to
> V5.1 ?

Yes.  There are significant new features.

> 2. Do we have to make all NV-clients to TIVOLI  Managed-Nodes ?

Yes.  You install the client code from the tivoli framework.

> 3. We would like to use HACMP for Tivoli takeover. In the Release Notes of
> NV 5.0 it is recommended not to use HACMP for Tivoli takeover !
> Are there any new features affecting this problem in NV 5.1 ?

I don't know.  I don't remember seeing mention of any in the release
notes.

> 4. Is it better to install TME 10 Framework 3.2 or 3.6 with NV 5.1 ?

Doesn't really matter, but I'd go to 3.6 just to have the latest and
greatest.  Framework is really just the requirement for NV5.1, it really
doesn't affect Netview after installation, at least not in any way that
I can detect.

> 5. Do you think we can get into trouble using Oracle 7.2.3 as RDBMS  ? Are
> there any migration-scripts which have to be used ?

Your on your own here.  I use the flat file database.  One less headache
to worry about.

> 6. We have implemented a lot of applications in the current NV 4.1
> environment - i.e. Nways Campus Manager LAN  V 3.1, SNA Manager V 1.1.4.2,
> NetScout- Manager V 5.0, Cisco Works V 3.0.3, Sniff Master for X  V 4.0.1.
>
> Have you heard of any migration-problems concerning these applications

I don't know.  I have already arranged to upgrade to Cisco Works V4, and
Optivity 8.1 (thats all that I use) so I don't even need to fight those
battles.

?

> 7. Do you know when the NV 5.1 is available on the WEB ( i.e. manuals,
> Redbooks, Release Notes ) ????

Nope.  However, mentioning the web, the Netview Web Interface is
SWEET!!!  Hats off to Tivoli for a superb second effort.  It is solid
and fast.  (if you use IE.  Netscape crashes alot)

Good luck!

Art DeBuigny
debuigny@dallas.net

NationsBank Network Operations / Network Management Systems SUpport