Linkdown traps

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Linkdown traps
From: Simon Huang <SIMON.HUANG@CHASE.COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 09:31:02 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi,

This question has been bugging me for a while.  Does Netview (specifically
netmon) do anything when it receives a linkdown trap from a device
(router,switch..) reporting an interface down?  Does Netview/netmon update
the interface status immediately or it just waits for the next status
cycle?  For example, if my polling interval is 30 minutes and a router
reports a linkdown trap for an interface five minutes after the last
successful poll.  When will Netview present the correct status for that
interface (right away or 25 minutes later)?

My observation is Netview waits for the next polling cycle and does not do
any status checking for the linkdown/linkup traps.  But I am not sure about
this.  I just want to know for sure what is Netview suppose to do when it
receives a linkdown/up trap as far as status information goes.

Thanks

Simon Huang