Re: Linkdown traps

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Linkdown traps
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 22:28:22 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I concur. Netview does not automatically do anything other than report, via the
Events Display, unsolicited traps from devices in the network. You are free to
customize those traps and do what you think is best. Perhaps issue a demand
poll to bring the status up to date? This is the sort of trade-off you have to
think
about when deciding on your polling frequency. If you have the network
bandwidth
to do that sort of processing, you should certainly have the bandwidth to let
Netview do frequent status polling. Unless, of course, there are so many
devices in the network that it takes netmon 30 minutes to get through them all.
In which case you might consider offloading polling to mid-level managers.
But assuming the normal case, in which a 5 minute polling cycle is sustainable,
I would take it. That seems to be the amount of time people can tolerate. AND...
you can set that cycle differently for different devices and networks.

Cordially,

Leslie Clark
IBM Global Services - Network & Systems Management - Detroit

I do not think netmon does any status checking on link down/up traps from
the SNMP agent on the device, but it DOES do additional status checking when
it generates its own Interface Down/Up trap.  If the device has multiple
interfaces (like a router), netmon will check the other interfaces rather
than waiting for their turn in the polling cycle.  This also works with
distributed polling using MLMs.