INCORRECT INTERFACE ICONS FOR ROUTERS - ZERO IP ADDRESSES

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: INCORRECT INTERFACE ICONS FOR ROUTERS - ZERO IP ADDRESSES
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 21:46:03 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Debbie, apologies if you have done this, but did you check the contents of the
Interface table as well
as the address table? I am not familiar with that device, but there are some
agents out there that neglect to
fill in the inteface table. Netview cannot make a card without it.. There must
be an interface for every
address, although there may be interfaces without addresses. They can operate
without a real
interface, but that is not strict compliance with MIB II standards for
management.  There may also be
addresses without interfaces. You will find this sort of thing in Bay routers
with 'circuitless IP', and
Cisco frame relay subinterfaces prior to IOS 11.2. No card, no connection.

The interface cards with 0.0.0.0 are usually unnumbered serial interfaces. In
earlier versions they were
labeled with the object number.

And I have recently become more cautious about how I interpret the output of
rnetstat (used by Monitor...
network configuration... addresses/interfaces). It seems to include entries
only for real interfaces, not
for any of the various types of virtual interfaces. So check the index numbers
carefully and match them
up against the labels, or descriptions, of the interfaces actually drawn.

Oh yes, and watch out for duplicate ip addresses....

Cordially,

Leslie Clark
IBM Global Services - Network & Systems Management - Detroit
(248) 552-4968 TL/896-4968

Hi Everyone,

My customer is running NetView 5.0 Rev. A for NT on NT 4.0 SP3. He has a
strange problem. For many of his routers NetView does not seem to
discover all the interfaces with IP addresses. Some interface icons are
shown with an IP address of 0.0.0.0 and some interfaces are not shown at
all. The strange part is that when we browse the MIB II interface table
or use menus Monitor->Network->Addresses we do see all the interfaces
with their correct IP addresses. We tried to demand poll a few times to
force configuration updates but there is no change. The routers are 3NET
Securicor. They support MIB II. We have not yet found private MIBs for
them.
Due to the interfaces not being discovered correctly we do not see the
correct links in the map.

Has anyone come across a problem like this? or have any ideas what the
problem is? My customer has not upgraded yet to 5.1 as his is still
waiting for his shipment to arrive. Is it likely that upgrading to 5.1
might resolve this?

Regards
Debbie Sparg