Backup NV in same TMR as primary NV?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Backup NV in same TMR as primary NV?
From: "Prokott, Joe" <Joe.Prokott@WESTGROUP.COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 08:04:50 -0600
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
We have two NV systems - a primary and a backup.  We want to install the new
TIPN components of NV 5.1 on both of these systems.  Currently, these
systems are in their own TMR.  In order to get full TEC integration with NV,
we would like to put the TEC server in the same TMR as both of these NV
systems.  I have a few questions about doing this:

(1)  Are there any potential problems in putting both a primary and a backup
NV server in the same TMR?  If, for example, the TMR server is defined on
the primary NV server and the primary NV server goes down, will there be any
problems in using the backup NV server for NV monitoring/management?

(2)  What is necessary in order to move one NV server from TMR A into a
different TMR B?  Do we need to reinstall everything or can we just migrate
to the other TMR?

(3)  If we are at Framework 3.2 now, is it better to merge the TMRs now
before upgrading to 3.6 or after upgrading to 3.6?

Thanks in advance,

Joe Prokott - West Group
Network Architect
610 Opperman Drive