Handling numbered ISDN interfaces

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Handling numbered ISDN interfaces
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 22:46:45 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I think a lot of people are dealing with this, and I'd like some suggestions.
I understand that you
don't want to manage the particular dial interfaces, or they will be brought up
unneccessarily. So
you  unmanage them. How do you avoid re-managing them, such as when you
unmanage/manage
 the router? Just take care?  ith the backup interface unmanaged, I expect that
the router is green
under normal circumstances, and red when it is down, and still red when the
backup interface comes
up.  How do you deal with that from an operational standpoint, looking at the
map?  Do you add
another object to the node submap and manage its status with the traps that
come in when the
backup interface comes up ( that would give you yellow, maybe)?  I see in the
interface mib that
some of these things have an Admin status of Up and an Oper status of Dormant.
Is anyone doing
anything fun with that?  Any satisfactory scenarios out there?