Re: Systems Monitor Question ....

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Systems Monitor Question ....
From: "Youngmann, Patricia L." <YoungPL1@CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL.EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 17:09:22 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
As far I as know, Systems Monitor is strictly an IBM product that does not
integrate with Tivoli's NetView 5.x.  IBM is not going to develop SM any
further and so it will NOT be Y2K compliant.  In fact, I no longer see SM
mentioned on either the Tivoli or the IBM web page.

Tivoli has a product called Distributed Monitoring that is supposed to
replace some of the SM functionality.  I have not used Distributed
Monitoring but I have heard that it's not a good replacement for SM.  It's
got a lot of overhead associated with it and uses a proprietary protocol.
SNMP is supposed to be added sometime.

We are currently using NV 4.1 and Systems Monitor.  We will probably use
Distributed Monitoring once we go to NetView 5.1 but I am still looking for
other (better?) agents for our AIX and NT boxes.

Pat Youngmann
JHU Applied Physics Laboratory