Re: Utilisation graphs

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Utilisation graphs
From: Douglas Stevenson <douglas.stevenson@PREDICTIVE.COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 13:15:03 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I've run into this...

Check to ensure that the Spped is set to the proper setting on the device
itself...  ie.. it is possible on some devices to set the speed of an
Ethernet (within the agent) to say 56000...  While the actual speed may be
10,000,000...

Also, if you are looking at utilization on full duplex interfaces, each
side must be calculated separately as it can transmit and receive
simultaneously.

HTH,

Doug...

At 08:45 AM 11/9/98 -0800, Connie Logg wrote:
>I have run into this anomaly occasionally.  I explain it by observing that
>the data taking is sequential and thus not simultaneous, thus in high
>utilization scenarios, the utilization can calculate out to be greater than
>100%.
>
>Also one must be careful about counter wrapping.
>

>At 09:18 AM 11/9/98 +0100, you wrote:
>>What is your expression for the utilization ?
>>
>>Uwe
>>
>>>===== Original Message From Adibah Mohamed <SMTP:NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
=====
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>  Has anyone encountered instances where utilisation goes beyond 100%?
>>>I know my formula is correct but why do I get a spike in my utilisation
>>>which goes above 100%.  Is there a way to cap it at 100%?
>>>
>>>Diba

>" Of course the opinions expressed here are my own. "
>
>Connie Logg    CAL@SLAC.Stanford.Edu  ph: 650-926-2879
>Network Management and Performance Analyst
>SLAC (MS 97), P.O. Box 4349, Stanford, CA 94309
>
>"Happiness is found along the way, not at the end of the road."

Douglas W. Stevenson
Managing Consultant - Enterprise Management
Predictive Systems Inc.
620 Herndon Parkway
Suite 360
Herndon, VA 20170