Status propagation

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Status propagation
From: Avi Efrati <avie@NCC.CO.IL>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 10:44:21 +0200
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hello All,

I'm running two Netview UIs (ovw) concurrently. As expected, the first
ovw opens with a read-write permission on my map and the second one with
read only permission. Also, I've programmed my applications so  that
there is only a single instance of each of them, i.e., they get
activated only for the read-write ovw.

My problem is that I don't get (applicative) status updates in the
Read-Only ovw. The man pages say that symbols' status get updated even
if your map is read only. Also, I've experimented with IP status
(managed by the IPMAP applications) and like the man says these status
do get updated.

Must I somehow request explicitly status updates on the Read-Only map
(e.g., get my applications running for the Read-Only instance and get
them to do something in response to status changes).

I'll appreciate any advise/comments on this subject

Thanks,

Avi