Re[2]: ping ISDN interface

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re[2]: ping ISDN interface
From: lauritz Strydom <Lauritz.Strydom@MAIL.ING.NL>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 08:05:58 +0000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi, why don't you setup a filter not to open the ISDN link when the interface
get pinged

I know you can do this with the Bay-routers.

Lauritz Strydom

Subject: Re: ping ISDN interface
Author:  Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView
 <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU> at inet-1
Date:    30-11-98 10:30 AM

We also have many ISDN backup links and use Cisco routers. This approach
works for us - 1) we unmanage the ISDN interfaces 2) we turn on the
Cisco ISDN traps so that we are aware of ISDN status. To do this, the
following must be configured on each cisco router in question:

snmp-server enable traps isdn

The cisco router (not sure which IOS is required at minimum) will then
send cisco enterprise specific ISDN traps to our NetView server which we
key on for operator notifications and ISDN status awareness.

Blaine Owens
Eastman Chemical Company
Email - bowens@eastman.com
Phone - (423)229-3579