Re: Client/Server and Backup manager

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Client/Server and Backup manager
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@TKG.COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 18:21:48 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
> Mauro Conosciani wrote:
[...]
> I've Netview 5.1 running on Server A, as well as on Server B (formely
> the backup).
> Server A has one Client C. How can I guarantee Client C keep on
> working while Server A goes down
> and Server B take the control ?  Is there any chance to let the Client
> C switch between the 2 Server automaticly (Am I swearing ?????).
> Thanks

Mauro,

I am pretty sure that you can define the client to both servers.
However, if Server A fails, the client will have to shut down the GUI
and then you have to change the client to point to the other server.  It
can't keep working.  This can be done by running the command:

 /usr/OV/bin/nv6000_client setserver <Server B> NFS

Concievably you could do this with a monitor script, but it better be
robust!  You don't want to shut down the GUI if you temporarily loose
network connectivity!

It may be possible if you can use HACMP, but it would be difficult to
set up.  In this case, the client should not know that Server A crashed
(NFS wise) and may keep going.  However the connections to ovwdb, and
the other daemons would be lost, and it would be tricky to get it
reconnected to the ones on the failover server.  I don't know if the
client tries to reestablish connections to the server - if it does, you
may be in luck because the backup HACMP server will take over the
/usr/OV filesystem, the IP address, and hardware address of the primary
- and it could also be set to the same hostname.  In HACMP, a takeover
script can start the netview daemons after the IP address, disks, and
hardware address are aquired by the backup.

--
Ray Schafer                   | schafer@tkg.com
The Kernel Group              | Network Computing Consulting