netview trap variables

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: netview trap variables
From: Terje Lindholm <teli@EEC.ERICSSON.SE>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 13:12:14 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi

I miss some variables in for example IBM_NVIDWN_EV interface down trap.
This should ofcourse apply to up also.

NetView for example supply the object-id of the node, but not the actual
interface ????
Object-id is useless within netview rules except if you go externaly.
Why not supply object-name instead so that you can use it.

I would like to have interface instance, if-type and object-name. This would
make
rules processing much easier in T/EC and NetView.

I also would like to have the possibility to have netmon to use loopback
interfaces
as the primary source for SNMP and DNS resolving.
We use loopback interfaces in an address space we can control, a lot of the
ethernets/token addresses belong to others so we cant control their names.

/Terje