Re: Not discovering Non-snmp nodes.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Not discovering Non-snmp nodes.
From: Steve Francis <sfrancis@COMMSERV.UCSB.EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 17:11:01 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
But according to the man page for oid_to_type, this will tell netmon to
discover "nodes with SNMP that have  object IDs that do not match a specific
entry  in the oid_to_type file" with an unmanaged state.

This is not what I want - I want to not discover nodes as unmanaged, but
rather not discover them at all.  Also, I want to apply that to all nodes
that do not support any SNMP.  So if I was doing it through oid_to_type, I
would think I'd use DEFAULT_IP rather than DEFAULT_SNMP, but I would not
know what attribute to give it.

Unless I am missing something.

I seems to me that what i want to acheive would be done via the seedfile,
with a setting like !DEFAULT_IP, to exclude devices from discovery that
don't return an OID.  But I dont think DEFAULT_IP works in a seed file, and
I dont know what OID I'd put otherwise.  How do I specify no OID in a
seedfile, I guess is the question...