Re: NV-L Needs a New Home by the End of February

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NV-L Needs a New Home by the End of February
From: MICHAEL_IMHOFF@HP-DENMARK-OM1.OM.HP.COM
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:55:04 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
     I strongly agree with Leslie. At HP we support the operations of an
     independent user forum (OpenView Forum International) and their
     mailing list, but it must be driven by the users. HP staff that
     participate in the forums (NetView, OpenView, IETF groups etc) also do
     it as individuals in their spare time.

     I would encourage the NetView Community to have a look at how OVForum
     has done it and maybe contact one of the board of directors to get
     some ideas, hint and maybe even some help. Have a look at
     http://www.ovforum.org/.

     I have noticed that some people on the OVForum mailing list is also
     active on this list. Maybe you could give us your opinion and ideas on
     how this list can continue.

     A web-based support system (the Cisco example) is another issue that
     should be run by Tivoli, but without connection to this mailing list.

     - Michael.

Author:  Non-HP-lclark (lclark@US.IBM.COM) at HP-Belgium,mimegw3
Date:    21-12-98 15:24

IBM/Tivoli already 'picks up the tab' on such a service. You pay for
support and
you get to ask questions electronically. This forum is entirely different,
and if
you think about it, I'm sure you can appreciate the benefits of an
independant
forum. Here, you get to exchange criticism, information on competing
products,
free-enterprise marketing, all sorts of things that you might reasonably
expect
a vendor-supported site to filter out in its own self-interest. Also, you
might
expect a vendor to charge a fee to staff such a site. The IBMers who
participate
in this independant forum do so as individuals on a voluntary basis in
their
'free time'.  All of the traditional reasons for the existence of product
User Groups
apply, and I certainly hope and expect this listserver to continue in
another home.
That's what I think.

I think someone should tell tivoli or ibm to pick up the tab on this one.
think they should
buy the server and put it on there.  They could provide a much better
service
than anyone
else considering that they can get discount prices on servers.  They also
have
huge internet
connections.  What does everyone else think.

JGiuliotti%MFS.COM@interlock.lexmark.com on 12/18/98 09:51:30 PM

Please respond to NV-L%ucsbvm.ucsb.edu@interlock.lexmark.com