Re: Hardware configuration required to page/beep someone?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Hardware configuration required to page/beep someone?
From: "Leggett, Jeff" <JLeggett@MOBILNET.GTE.COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 12:30:17 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
As a long time AIX admin this is an area that I personally have seen evolve
substantially over the last few years.  Way back when (1989 or so) we used
Telebit Trailblazers w/ UUCP configs to call our paging companies computer
and page us, but this was very unreliable and a pain to setup.  Then came
some of the freeware and commercial products.  I am drawing a blank on the
name of paging software we used for years but support for it finally
dropped.  I have used one commercial product: SPatch with good success, but
lately I have found the easiest thing to do is just enable sendmail enough
to be able to send emails and send them to PIN@PAGINGCO.NET.  This has
worked for me since about 1995 or so when connections to the Net started
coming ubiquitious.  You do have a couple of points of failures for this so
it may not meet your needs, depending on circusmstances. (Example: you are
monitoring internet connections and need someone paged if they go down).

For most every config I have ever set up a 2400 baud modem seems to be the
minimum.  That shouldn't be hard to find!  :)

For Spatch contact: www.spatch.com or 770-495-0718

Hope this helped.