Re: Hardware configuration required to page/beep someone?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Hardware configuration required to page/beep someone?
From: Vladimir Petr <petr@DATASYS.CZ>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 18:59:53 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hello, Bryan;

After some necessary configuration NV is ready to perform paging. You need a
modem and an analog
line which your modem is connected to. Then, you must setup the following files
according to the
modem and carrier characteristics (all of them reside in /usr/OV/conf):
<modem_name>.modem
(There are a few such files in the NV installation such as ibm5853 or for Hayes
modems but I have
not seen these in action. You can create your own modem file according to the
modem type you would
like to use)
nvpager.config
nv.carriers
nvpaging.protocols

NV installation contains definitions of four protocols, i.e. TAP, IXO, PAKNET
and PET that are
defined in nv.protocols (you can define other protocols to use, too). At our
site, for instance, TAP
is supported by the operator.
Paging itself is controlled by the nvpagerd daemon either from a ruleset (he
then uses the paging
information from security user profiles) or from CLI (nvpage command so that
ovactiond can execute
it right away an event reaches NV).

You will find more information in man pages (nvpage, nvpagerd, nv.carriers,
modem, etc.) or in
Administrator's Reference manual. Maybe someone else will tell you of their
experience in your
country.
I do intend to deploy this functionality in a short time at our customer's site
so that I will
appreciate any issues to take into account as well.

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Vladimir.

--