Re: cisco traps

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: cisco traps
From: "Paul L. Della Maggiora" <pdellama@CISCO.COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 13:28:35 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Our routers can generate quite a few traps (greater than 50 last time I
checked) depending on what you have configured.  However, as Omer pointed
out, our traps are a very small subset of the syslog messages that may be
generated for a typical event.  Consider, though, that the traps generally
represent an absolute event (interface down, DLCI status change, etc.) and
can be enumerated and parsed very easily, whereas syslog mesages are
console messages with syntax that can vary. Also, a trap may contain
additional information concerning the event which the syslog message may not.

We have defined our traps in a trapd.conf format which can be integrated
with trapd.conf at http://www.cisco.com/public/mibs/contrib/trapd.41x

Hope this helps.

At 04:32 AM 12/18/98 , Ben-Shalom, Omer wrote:
>Cisco tends to send events to the syslogd to the best of my knowledge rather
>
>then as SNMP traps.
>You can employ various tools such as log file adapter to transform to SNMP
>if
>you like.
>There may be a better way , I myself just monitor the logs and send
>interesting
>traps to TEC.
>
>        Omer
>

>Hello all,
>I'm having problems getting cisco traps on my nv6k.
>I uploaded the cisco mibs , i also configured the trap customization, i
>configured the router to send f/r,config and snmp
>traps to the nv6k ( snmp host...) but still all i can see are the nv
>enterprise events.
>Any ideas?
>Greetings ,Oren.

Paul L. Della Maggiora, CCIE 1522