Re: cisco traps

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: cisco traps
From: David Easter <David_Easter@BAYNETWORKS.COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 09:58:15 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi James,

  Sorry - there isn't an option to "correlate all traps" or anything like
that.  The option you may be thinking of is a shell script called
"fault_correlator_filter" which you can give an argument of "on" or "off".
That will cause the Fault Correlation system, if you turn if "off", to
start sending all traps raw to NetView without correlation.

  However, even with the filter on, it's supposed to send faults that it
can't correlate to NetView in a raw state.  If/When the fault correlator is
not working correctly, it's very possible that it wouldn't pass on any
traps - that's probably what your customers are seeing most often.  For
example, if one of the fault daemons were down, both Optivity NMS and
NetView wouldn't be receiving traps.

  Just for you <g>, I'm trying to get the NMS 9.0 fault daemons to work
like they do on HP NNM. On NNM, we don't take over port 162 - we just
insert into the trap stream and get the traps second hand.  If we can pull
this off, you should see a dramatic drop in problems with the traps/faults
when Optivity NMS is installed.

Happy Holidays,

-David J. Easter
Sr. Product Manager - Optivity NMS, Network Management Division
Bay Networks/Nortel Networks - How the world shares ideas.

-=-REgarding-=-