Re: Optivity NMS on NetView v5.1 and AIX v4.3

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Optivity NMS on NetView v5.1 and AIX v4.3
From: David Easter <David_Easter@BAYNETWORKS.COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:06:59 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi Paul,

  Sorry for your dis-satisfaction with Optivity NMS 8.1.  I'll try to
answer at least two of your questions:

1. "Supported", by the book definition, is "Tested and qualified by Nortel
Networks' System Test Engineering".  If it wasn't tested at corporate, it's
not supported (officially) by the Technical Support Center.  Doesn't mean
it won't work - it just means that the TSC cannot escalate issues on the
unsupported configuration to engineering and therefore any bugs reported
must be duplicated on a supported configuration.

2. The "Error during reading background file" message has been discussed
many a time on this mail reflector.  "Giuliotti, J. P."
<JGiuliotti@MFS.COM> posted this solution:

"Type: ovw -config > /tmp/ovconf.out  --(I'm not sure if you have to be in
the bitmap directory or not)"

  And Rob Rinear <robr@DIRIGO.COM> posted this solution:

"Basically, there is a corrupt or zero length bitmap file in your bitmaps
directory.  If you are particularly interested in Optivity, I've installed
v8.1 twice recently and got this problem...turns out that the file
baynet_baystack-150.38.m file is missing (the corresponding .p file is
there).  I simply copied the baynet...250.38.m file to 150.38.m and all
seems well."

I haven't heard of your other problems before, so they may be local to your
environment.  The TSC should be able to isolate the problem, although with
that many problems, a re-installation of NMS 8.1 may be in order.

Hope this helps,

-David J. Easter
Sr. Product Manager - Optivity NMS, Network Management Division
Bay Networks/Nortel Networks - How the world shares ideas.

-=-REgarding-=-