Re: Client&Server Ports

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Client&Server Ports
From: Vladimir Petr <petr@DATASYS.CZ>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 10:53:29 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Jose,
the following NV server daemons seem to establish connections with the client
processes (use lsof
utility to see them specifically):

ovwdb 9999/tcp
nvcold 1664/tcp
ovtopmd 8888/tcp
C5_server 1668/tcp
nvsecd 1663/tcp

The processes on the client that establish connections with the server daemons
are as follows:

nvsecltd 1667/tcp
collmap (port allocated by portmap)
nvevents (port allocated by portmap)
ipmap (port allocated by portmap)
ovw_binary (port allocated by portmap)
dispsub (port allocated by portmap)
C5eui (port allocated by portmap)

You must reckon with the NFS daemons and their port numbers. As you can see
portmapper allocates
port numbers dynamically for most client processes. For instance, they listened
on ports in range
41xx-43xx/tcp when I ran GUI.
Also, it depends upon which applications you have registered with NV.
Snmpd uses 161/udp/tcp to talk with trapd on 162/tcp/udp.

This I saw after a glimpse at the output of lsof.:-)

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Vladimir.

--