Re: NV commands

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NV commands
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 10:44:08 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I just did a   GET NV-L LOG9812  and saw your message in the archive dated
December 23, 1998 so I don't know what you mean about it not showing up.

I cannot answer all of your questions.  Maybe others can answer those I
cannot
>>1) How can I change .ico files into .m and .p files (which program to use
?)

I do not know of any such utility.

>>2) Is there a command for removing traps ? (traps have been added with
the addtrap >>command)

No, there is no line command for this, but you can do this from the GUI
(xnmtrap).
Generally most people don't remove them because a few extra trap
definitions cause no problems since the whole trapd.conf file is loaded
into memory at trapd start-up.

>>   If not, how can I remove them ? (do I only need to remove the entries
in the >> >>trapd.conf file)

Yes, you can edit trapd.conf manually but this is not recommended because
the entries are positional and if you get it wrong, trapd will not start.
So if you want to edit trapd.conf and not use the GUI, make sure you have a
backup.

>>3) Is there a command for removing fields (they were added with the
ovw_fields >>command).
 >>  If not, how do I accomplish this manually ?

There is no command. You have to write a C program to remove the fields,
and first you must remove them from any objects you added them to.  The
only easy way to do this is to remove the entries for the fields in the
regsitration files and then clear the databases and rediscover everything.

>>4) Is it possible to automate the collection data ? (snmpcollect -load ?)
>>   I wanna add thresholds ...

I'll let some user who has done this explain it.  If you don't get a
response, perhaps you could explain in more detail exactly what you want to
do in a separate note.  It is not a good idea to combine all these topics
into a single append.  Most people only look at the subjects which interest
them.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Patric Lehnen <patric-thomas.lehnen@SIEMENS.AT> on 01/08/99 04:53:44 AM

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>

1) How can I change .ico files into .m and .p files (which program to use
?)
2) Is there a command for removing traps ? (traps have been added with the
addtrap command)
   If not, how can I remove them ? (do I only need to remove the entries in
the trapd.conf file)
3) Is there a command for removing fields (they were added with the
ovw_fields command).
   If not, how do I accomplish this manually ?
4) Is it possible to automate the collection data ? (snmpcollect -load ?)
   I wanna add thresholds ...

Thanks in advance for your help.
Why did the message I send in 12/99 not show up on the digest ?

D.I. Patric Lehnen
IMB NSM 2
System and Network Management
Gudrunstra