Re: Large Scale Netview Implementation Design

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Large Scale Netview Implementation Design
From: "Whitehead, Neil" <whitern@RBOS.CO.UK>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 10:33:23 -0000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Sounds very similar to the setup that my firm has......

We have one Central NetView server (plus one other as a hot stndby
machine, but let's not complicate things...), and 8 regional Mid-Level
Managers (MLM).

All our operators log onto the Central server and all maps are generated
on that machine. The MLMs are used to offload some of the processing
from the Central machines.

The MLM knows only about the Central NetView Server and its own region.
It is responsible for pinging devices within its own region and reports
status changes to the Central server (which then updates the map).
Using the MLM for pinging, you can set a very high ping rate, without
impacting performance on your core network or your Central server.
The MLM is also responsible for handling all SNMP traps from devices in
its region. You can filter and set up up automation on these traps and
relay them onto the Central Server.

I've never tried to run NetView on the same machine as the MLM, but Is
ee no reason why it can't be done- probably have to play around with
port numbers for trap reception etc, but shouldn't be impossible.

Regards

Neil Whitehead (x22808)
IT Services (Telecoms)
The Royal Bank of Scotland