Re: Large Scale Netview Implementation Design

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Large Scale Netview Implementation Design
From: Art DeBuigny <debuignynospam@NOSPAMDALLAS.NOSPAMNET>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:55:14 -0600
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Zahir;

Let me comment on your plan, and tell you what I would do.

First of all, Maps can be transported between servers (regional and HQ), but
you have to take the entire thing.  Regional maps would still have to have the
full fledged  database if they were to be placed on the HQ box (with access to
all)

I suppose it would be possible to have a seperate database repository for each
region, but it'll take some time to load each database and restart the daemons
and GUI on your central HQ server.

Is all your monitoring being done from the HQ, or only the critical?  If its
dopne regionally, with critical at HQ, then I'd install a client off of each
regional server, and have them running in your command center.  If its all done
centrally, I would replace the regional servers with Mid Level Managers.  Your
regional servers can be smaller, and less powerfull, and its much easier to
maintain one Server and 9 MLM's than it is to maintain 10 NetView Servers.  I
manage 3 Servers and its not fun.  :)

Art DeBuigny
debuigny@dallas.net