Re: Large Scale Netview Implementation Design

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Large Scale Netview Implementation Design
From: "Whitehead, Neil" <whitern@RBOS.CO.UK>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 14:30:49 -0000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I assume you mean that you've taken the full 10. address space (from
10.0.0.1 to 10.255.255.254) and split it up more or less evenly between
your customers i.e
Customer A has 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.128.254
Customer B has 10.0.129.1 - 10.1.255.254 etc......

The MLM wouldn't know about any other network apart from the local
customer network and the CMS so no problem there...

But if you mean that Customer A and Customer B may have devices which
have the same IP address, I don't think the CMS will be able to deal
with it. Network Address Translation may help here ...then again may be
not as NAT introduces it's own problems....

Be aware that MLMs cannot do any discovery beyond the local subnet and
do not automatically configure themselves to ping any devices beyond the
local subnet. You have to configure the MLM manaully to ping specific
addresses beyond the local subnet....quite a lot of work in a dynamic
environment, but if the network is relatively static it is manageable.

Regards

Neil Whitehead (x22808)
IT Services (Telecoms)
The Royal Bank of Scotland