Re: Problem with refresh

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Problem with refresh
From: John Creasey <creasey@OZEMAIL.COM.AU>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 00:59:12 +1100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
How do you set your ovwdb cache size?

-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView
[mailto:NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU]On Behalf Of James Shanks
Sent: Wednesday, 20 January 1999 00:08
To: NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU

At least some of what you are seeing is normal.  netmon will not respond to
your demand poll requests until he has done all his initial work, and this
includes loading the entire topology database and doing all the daily
config checks (SNMP requests) specified in his SNMP configuration.  So in a
large network it might very well take two hours for him to respond to a
demand poll you initiated immediately after start up.  Development is
looking at changing this behavior so that user requests get more priority,
but I can make no promises.

As for the collection, I am not sure what to say.  The collection will be
maintained by nvcold, which will be very active at the start of things,
since he must react to every ovwdb change netmon makes.  Both netmon and
nvcold will be making a lot of ovwdb calls.  The only thing I can think of
which would improve this performance is making sure that you have enough
paging space (between 2 - 2 1/2 X  RAM) and that your ovwdb cache size is
at least 20 per cent larger than the number of objects you have in the
database.  If that is still not enough, I recommend you open a problem with
Support and get someone to look at your situation more closely.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Hernan Dario Villegas <hvillega@MAIL.BIC.COM.CO> on 01/18/99 10:01:05 AM

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>