Netview 'challenges'

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Netview 'challenges'
From: Paul Anderson <paul.anderson@AMALI.GLOBALNET.CO.UK>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 15:04:50 -0000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Greetings one and all...

I have a few problems nay 'challenges' which I'd like to share with you...

a) Whenever I launch Netview it seems to take an inordinately long time
before the events are displayed in the event viewer. In fact there have
been times when I have given up waiting and restarted a new window using
the command
        nvevents &
the new window fires up immediately and displays all outstanding events!?!
Any thoughts?

b) On a second monitoring platform we are unable to fire up Netview. The
startup daemons seem to be ok until we get to the lock daemon at which
point it hangs. I vaguely remember someone here mentioning that there may
be a lock file that needs deleting...can someone remind me what it is?

c) Whenever I attempt to use loadhosts the process just seems to hang and I
end up giving up:-(  The sequence I have been intending to use is

i) ovstop netmon
ii) loadhost newrouters
iii) ovstart netmon

but I never get past ii) :-(

d) I have set up a number of collections which monitor devices and raise
traps when over threshold (e.g. monitoring spanning tree changes via bridge
mib) however, recently Netview has been doing these collections on the
wrong devices !?!?!?! These collections have been working fine for
sometime. This problem has only occured within the last 2/3 weeks!!! I have
checked my data collection setup and my trap setup and am now at a loss. I
have had to completely suspend the collections as the operators are
beginning to lose faith in Netviews accuracy. The only 'change' has been an
upgrade to Optivity 8.0.1 but (much as I'd like to) I can't really believe
this is causal.

I'm using Netview 4.11 on AIX 4.1

cheers Paul