Re: NV v5.1 Installation?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NV v5.1 Installation?
From: Don Davis <don-n-darla@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 13:14:52 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Drew,
My experience installing NetView 5.1 in symbolic linked file system
on Solaris 2.6 has been ....
Well, let's just say it was not a "Happy NetView Experience" !!!

I worked with 6 Solaris 2.6 machines in a classroom environment.
The hard disk was partotioned with only 180Mb space in /usr.
I created the sub-directory OV in /usr. I also created an OV
sub-directory in the /export/home file system with 1.2 Gb free space.
I then created a symbolic link from /usr/OV to /export/home/OV.
(cd /usr ; ln -s /export/home/OV  OV)
When I attempted to install NetView, it failed with errors indicating
that
it was out of disk space. The /usr directory was 100% full.
It appeares that the NetView installation process checks for the
presence
of /usr/OV and deletes any existing OV directory (the link) before
proceeding with the installation.
A curious note is that the installation process restored the link as a
sub-directory of /usr/OV.
It restored the link as follows   /usr/OV/OV was linked to
/export/home/OV

I had to boot the machines from CD and re-partition the hard disk before

I could install NetView.

AFter this experience, my advise is to make an exception and put NetView
in /usr.
Good luck,

Don Davis - Consultant, Instructor
Alliance of Professionals & Consultants, Inc.
8600 Caswell Court
Raleigh, NC 27613-1100 USA    Phone: 919-847-6056
Pager: 800-759-8888  PIN# 1462396
Email: Don@apc-services.com
Visit our web site at http://www.apc-services.com