Re: e:fixes

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: e:fixes
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:23:11 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
What story are you expecting?
An efix is a new executable which, on the developer's box at least, fixed
the reported problem.  But it has not been through formal test or system
integration, and it is never going to be regression tested against the
level of code you actually have -- it will be incorporated into a new level
and that will be tested.  So of course the response is "don't apply unless
we tell you".  Level 2 Support does not want to get a frantic call from
someone who blindly downloaded incompatible efixes and installed them and
now cannot get the system to run at all.  They'd like to help verify that
the problem you have is likely to be solved by the efix you want and then
to track whether or not it really did.  They want to make certain that you
understand that efixes are experimental, and may not work, and that you
need to have a backup in place.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Simon Long <simon@nettrack.com.au> on 01/26/99 09:00:15 PM