Comparing files

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Comparing files
From: Lucy Premus <lpremus@METLIFE.COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 13:18:11 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I'm trying to compare 2 text files containing lists of server names.  One
is a list of servers NetView is managing and the other is a list servers
that Compaq Insight Manager manages.  I'm using the diff command on AIX,
but I'm not getting the results I was expecting.  Servers that are in the
NetView list the diff command is telling me they're not and same goes for
servers in the CIM list.

One thing to note one file is in uppercase the other in lowercase, but I
did use the -i flag to ignore case.  The following is the command I
entered:

diff -i 'file1' 'file2' > /'directory'/'newfile'.

Am I missing something?  Is there a better command to use?  HELP!!!!!