Re: help: Installing Netview 5.1 from scratch

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: help: Installing Netview 5.1 from scratch
From: Vladimir Petr <petr@DATASYS.CZ>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 18:53:56 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi, Matt;
Yesterday I installed NV at our customer's site so I'll tell you a word. If you
install Framework
only to enable NetView, then
- create a separate filesystem for Framework binaries, database, etc. (e.g.
/tivoli) of at least
150-200MB; there must always be enough free space in $DBDIR, $BINDIR, etc.
- check if the nobody account exists on the box
- check if you are running Motif 1.2 and you have X11R5 installed
- better to avoid using csh during the install (use sh or ksh)
- install TMR server on the box dedicated to NV, thus creating a TMR (you can
connect it later to
any other TMR)
- select oserv's startup at boot time to avoid starting him manually when you
would like to run
desktop
- select remote startup option so that you can use the odadmin start/shutdown
commands from a remote
box
- make sure DNS server makes a reverse resolution as well; if not, use
/etc/hosts as the primary
resolution method (on AIX create /etc/netsvc.conf and set the lookup order);
check the network
properties of the box carefully (through the host, nslookup and ping commands)
- make a backup of Tivoli database after Framework installation and after
Framework NetView Patch
installation again

- create a filesystem for NetView directory structure and mount it over /usr/OV
(or make this a link
to a different location; don't know your platform but if you have LVM you can
start at 200-250MB)
- set maximum number of processes per user to at least 100
- make sure you have enough paging space (if not the NetView installation will
fail)
- check prerequisites carefully (some filesets are not present by default so
you may have to install
them)
- let the NV daemons ports be not used
- make another backup of Tivoli database after NV install is done

NV installation is described pretty well in the release notes so I recommend
you to read them in any
case.
Framework installation on UNIX is usually straightforward. I have never run
into problems on AIX and
HP-UX.

Hope this helps,
Best regards,