Re: NVWeb - Socket error opening maps

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NVWeb - Socket error opening maps
From: Vladimir Petr <petr@DATASYS.CZ>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 08:02:14 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hello, Leonard;

Since web browsers communicate with the NV console, there must be a map
read-write open there.
Please, check if you have opened the desired map on the console.
However, even when this condition is true, my Netscape 4.5 (on NT) is often
unable to create a
socket (at least it says so). Java Console tells the same but on the other hand
it clearly specifies
the sockets. I have seen that neither flushing the cache nor restarting the
browser helps. You may
try it for Netscape on Solaris does surely behave differently.
IE 4 is running without any problems at the same time from the same workstation.

As to demand poll, NV higly depends upon name resolution service, i.e. DNS or
local /etc/hosts. If
you use DNS, this might be the starting point for your quest. Check, how
quickly you get a response
from the DNS server on your request. DNS server should react immediately either
with an error or
with the node information. If not, you've got it. Then you can have your DNS
server administrator to
tune it or use local /etc/hosts to resolve your critical and important nodes.
On Solaris I think
there is /etc/nsswitch.conf (if my memory serves) to set the order of lookup
(you may first use
local resolution and then DNS).

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Vladimir.

--
Vladimir Petr
DATASYS s.r.o.

"What's important is not simplicity or complexity, but how
you bridge the two." (Larry Wall)