NETVIEW vs. TEC

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: NETVIEW vs. TEC
From: Holger Heimann <hh@IT-SEC.DE>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 10:52:24 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I'm trying to understand the practical differences (not the marketing or
historical ones) between Netview and the Tivoli Enterprise Console (TEC) for
*monitoring* purposes.
We habe a Netview 5.0 Demo Version here under NT (yuck!) and know the TEC
just from papers and a recent demonstration.

As far as I understand, Netview is basically SNMP based and works by polling
network devices. TEC supports agents and is therefore somehow passive and
capable to monitor almost everything by design. Both support thresholds,
rulesets etc.

On the other hand, one can also configure traps and actions in Netview as
well as it can be used with external agents that monitor whatever you like,
like the TEC. So one can, at least for monitoring, do roughly the same with
both.

So, if I want to get something from green to red on some well defined
condition and execute some action then, I finally can use both, can I?

What am I missing for the 50K$ price-difference?

Thanks,
Holger Heimann
www.it-sec.de