Re: NETVIEW vs. TEC

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NETVIEW vs. TEC
From: Douglas Stevenson <douglas.stevenson@PREDICTIVE.COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 20:52:07 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Holger,

What does TEC give you?  A big list of events that you can filter and compare.

If I were looking at the situation, I'd probably take a good look at
Micromuse Netcool Omnibus.  It's fast to deploy, easy to build automations,
and can handle huge amounts of data in bursts... Someone told me they have
a probe for TEC...

For correlations, we tend to split these levels up into five distinct
categories...

Event Correlation - Event categorization, deduplication and filtering.
Device Correlation - Comparisons of managed objects, their subcomponents
and capabilities and their interrelationships.
Alarm Correlation - The narrowing of multiple events into a single root
cause and side effects.
System Correlation - The comparison of alarm, event and gathered data to
determine its effect as a system.
Service Correlation - The comparison of data necessary to determine a
Service problem.

Once you get the correlation down, the problems at hand can be handled as a
function of workflow.

HTH,

Doug...