Re: Migrating from v4.1 to 5.0

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Migrating from v4.1 to 5.0
From: Vince Rosso <Vince_Rosso@TRANSALTA.COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:18:41 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>

Vince Rosso@TRANSALTA
11/02/99 10:18 AM

Alain I'm assuming of course you are referring to the migrate script on the
v5.0 CD.   Thanks for the suggestion I will try that method.

 (Embedded
 image moved   "MENEZES, ALAIN" <a.menezes@ASLK-CGER.BE>
 to file:      02/11/99 09:44 AM
 pic29763.pcx)

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu>

To:   NV-L@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu
cc:    (bcc: Vince Rosso)

If you are talking about migrating while saving the configuration of
your NetView 4.1, here's what Blaine Owens once sent :

Shutdown NetView and run the
migrate script on your "old" server - it will create a directory like
"/usr/OV.back.v4r1". Copy (rdist or whatever) this directory to your
"new" server. When you install NetView 5.1 it will detect
"/usr/OV.back.v4r1" and migrate all of your version 4 goodies.

The only problem I ran into was that some of my bitmaps from 3rd party
apps were symbolic links to files in other directories. Once I copied
these over to my new server the migration worked like a charm.

Blaine Owens
Eastman Chemical Company
Email - bowens@eastman.com

Hope this helps

Alain Menezes
ASLK-CGER Services GIE                          Tel.:  +32 2 228.55.74
Rue Foss
é-aux-Loups, 48                               Fax.:  +32 2
228.83.69
1000  Bruxelles                                         Email:
a.menezes@aslk-cger.be