Re: Unofficial IP addresses

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Unofficial IP addresses
From: Ken Karasek <KGKARASE@HEWITT.COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:15:41 -0600
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Have you thought about implementing NAT to resolve your multiple 10.x.x.x
networks?

From: Joe.Prokott@WESTGROUP.COM on 02/10/99 09:51 PM

Please respond to NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU

To:   NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU
cc:
Client:

I do not think this will work since NV will not depict (at least with a
single NV system) in the maps the same IP address on multiple different
nodes.  NV does not "know" how IP address X.X.X.X on system A should be
displayed in the NV maps vs. the same IP address X.X.X.X on system B.  NV
will just discover the first UNIQUE IP address and get its properties
(remaining IP addresses, sysContact, etc...).  It will then generate the
event "Duplicate IP address Y.Y.Y.Y found on NODE A and NODE B" at regular
intervals.
Even being that you have separate MLMs managing the duplicate addresses
separately, I do not think the centralized NV system gathering the info.
from the MLMs will put the duplicate addresses into the one centralized NV
map database correctly (or at least the way you want to see them).  Even if
it could, how could it determine and properly display in the maps the
subnet
X.X.X.Y at physical location 1 vs. the same subnet X.X.X.Y at physical
location 2?  If properly maintained, you could maybe get unique Selection
names for each node (e.g., "hostname", etc...) and interface (e.g.,
"hostname:Serial0/1", etc...) in the NV database so long as you used UNIQUE
node names across all managed devices, but you will still likely struggle
with getting all of these devices to show the way you want them within the
one centralized NV database (i.e., Node A AND Node B with IP address
X.X.X.X
will show up under subnet icon X.X.X.Y in the NV maps, even though the
nodes
are at two physically different locations.).  You may?? be able to get
around this if you use the /etc/networks file to also UNIQUELY define your
subnet names for all managed subnets across your enterprise (this would
ensure a unique "Selection Name" in the NV database for each subnet once
you
merge the data from the multiple MLMs together to the centralized NV
database).
If you could get these all into the one NV database without database
conflicts, you should be able to create NV collections of the nodes without
map accuracy conflicts, since this method of viewing the nodes is not
dependent upon network topology, but rather only on how you define the
rules
that define the NV collections (e.g., all nodes where "sysLocation=SiteA",
etc...).
There are a lot of maybe's in this response, perhaps some others can
provide
better feedback on their own experiences in trying to do this. Good luck
and
let us all know if you can get this to work, as I think many of us struggle
with these duplicate private IP addresses, especially from acquisitions
where we inherit the IP addresses and management of new networks.

Joe Prokott
Network Architect
West Group
St. Paul, MN  55123