Re: Netview5.1 Client Vs Server

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview5.1 Client Vs Server
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:28:19 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Gil -

Client code and Server code cannot run  on the same machine.  Perhaps the
notes don't make it clear but the same box can never be both a client and a
server.  To switch from one to the other requires a de-install of one and a
re-install of the other.  It has always been so.  Under V4, when we only
installed on AIX, the lslpp program required only one line in the .toc file
to prevent this kind install error from happening.  Apparently, the Tivoli
install program is not so restrictive.  It will cheerfully let you shoot
yourself in the foot.

How you recover and what you choose to do is up to you, but your
installation is hosed.  Perhaps a de-install of the entire NetView product
will clean things up and let you re-install either the client or the server
code so that the box will be usable in that  mode but I don't know.  I
don't know that anyone does.  That's why I suggested a call to Support,
where the folks who do installation support can assist you if the
de-install doesn't clean things up enough to let you proceed.  Otherwise,
you can choose whatever method  you like to try to recover.  Format the
hard drive and re-install AIX if you want.  It's your decision.

Good luck
James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Gil Irizarry <IRIZARRG@LABS.WYETH.COM> on 02/17/99 09:03:11 AM