Re: Netview 4 with cisco routers

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview 4 with cisco routers
From: Fältman, Mikael <mifal@WMDATA.COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 16:46:56 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
We are maintaining a separate very simple asset database where we register
our new routers.
When a new router is registrated the application (web/perl scripts) updates
/etc/hosts on the
Netview computer (rcp) and then sends a trap to Netview how starts a script.
The script
makes a loadhosts on the new router.
The daily Netview admin. staff then places the object into the map.
I think its a very good idea to keep a separate asset database just
containing
for ex. routername, associated IP address, domain.

Our network is also very dynamic. We are very strict about change management
so when a
config change is done in the network it also has to be manually (demand
poll/delete) done
in Netview.

Unfortunately there is no way to automate the removal of old routers. As you
pointed out
this has to be done manually.

(Our WAN today=786 routers)

---
Mikael Fältman (mifal@wmdata.com)
Network Services
WM-data Infrastruktur AB, BOX 164, S-295 22 BROMOLLA