Re: Netview 4 with cisco routers

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview 4 with cisco routers
From: Dave Luiz <daveluiz@JPS.NET>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 23:54:49 -0800
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Rob,
We also have a large network (800+ Cisco routers) in a VERY dynamic
environment. So much change in fact, that we have 11 full time bodies making
adds/mods/deletes daily! We too, are very disappointed in Netview's ability to
remove "old data" from its map/object/topology databases regardless of the
"delete node down" time interval set in the SNMP configuration settings. As a
result, we have had to adjust our change management process to include the
necessary Netview map corrections for each change made in the network. A fully
manual process.

However, since our DNS is always kept current, I have automated the creation of
a seedfile based upon what is known to DNS. Once a new seedfile is created, the
automation also recycles netmon in order to process the new seedfile. Cron runs
this once every 24 hours and as long as we completely remove
all old objects from the databases, the process works great! Further, we apply
the database utilities "ovmapcount -a", "ovmapcount -b", "ovtopofix -A", and
"nvTurboDatabase speed" weekly! Although much time is spent in manual
processes, our databases have been very accurate and VERY stable for a long
time now.

Hope that helps!
Dave Luiz