Ref. : Re: Going from AIX to Solaris

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Ref. : Re: Going from AIX to Solaris
From: Thierry Van Mol <thierry.van-mol@CIEV.VD.CH>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:13:29 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
> Just out of curiosity, why would your management pressure you to adopt
> Solaris?
> I've heard that the hardware is cheaper, but Solaris is harder to
> administer (not just my opinion but that of several outside consultants)
> unless you have been doing it for some time.

> James Shanks
> Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Reason is simple. We are a computer center for an administration. 2 years ago
we had nearly every
operating system you could think of in the house. Decision was made to reduce
this variety and to
concentrate on some of them. Regarding Unix, they choose to concentrate on
Solaris. Since there
are about 3,5 people to manage all the Unix boxes, it makes sense, regarding
training of people,
support contract, etc...

Personnally I worked several years with SunOs/Solaris, and since 2 years I
discovered AIX with
this job. I agree that AIX is easier to administer. But there is no clear
winner between the two.
You have to admit it is much more difficult to get compiled versions of
freeware. And compiling
them is in general more difficult. For example, it has been 2 years I am trying
to get tcsh working
on AIX 4.1.5.  I have still a bug in job control.

But since Jeff Fitzwater pointed out to me that CiscoView don't support Netview
on Solaris,
I think I may be the defender of the last AIX box in the house for some time.

Thierry

Thierry Van Mol                            email: thierry.van-mol@ciev.vd.ch
Centre Informatique de l'Etat de Vaud      Tel: 41 (0) 21 316 27 05