Re: New icons

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: New icons
From: Jon Needes <jon.needes@ATS.UK.EDS.COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 17:37:23 +0000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
"MENEZES, ALAIN" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have a procedure to create icons/bitmaps (& masks) for
> NetView ? and insert them in NetView (/usr/OV/bitmaps ? ...) ?
>
> Al
> ---------------------
> Alain Menezes
> ASLK-CGER Services GIE                          Tel.:  +32 2 228.55.74
> Rue Fossé-aux-Loups, 48                               Fax.:  +32 2 228.83.69
> 1000  Bruxelles                                         Email:
> a.menezes@aslk-cger.be

This is described in the Programmer's Guide section - Creating Bitmaps for
NetView for AIX Symbols (Section 8.2 in Version4).

If you are looking for a shortcut to a long-winded process I do not know of
one. If there is a similar bitmap I start by copying that and then changing it.
When I have done a bitmap I copy it for the mask and then edit the mask, or
vice versa, as it is sometimes easier to do it the reverse way. I generally
start with a middle size and copy it for the other sizes, using the resize
feature in bitmap. The new sizes need to be tidied up after resize.

To compile the bitmaps run NetView with the -config switch, you probably need
to be root.

To use the bitmaps in NetView you must define the symbols. This is described in
the next section. Create your own file for easier housekeeping. You can use an
existing symbol class or add your own.

I hope this helps. If there is a way of streamlining the process I would like
to know it too.

Jon Needes
EDS, Hook, UK