MLM 5.0 on AIX 4.2.1

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: MLM 5.0 on AIX 4.2.1
From: Anthony Philipp <philipt@NATIONWIDE.COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 13:11:00 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
For performance reasons I am considering using Middle Level Managers to offload
some of the work being done by the Netview server.  The documentation states
that MLMs are for polling and collecting data only from objects in their own
subnet.  I have about 15000 objects on my Netview server and would like to move
the polling function for half of them to a MLM, however they are not all in the
same subnet.  Is it possible to configure MLMs to poll objects outside of their
subnet?  Can I use a seedfile just like I use on my server?  I would be
interested to hear from anyone who uses MLMs in a multiple branch /
geographically dispersed environment.